The Ministry of Education’s Permanent Secretary, Alfred King, on Thursday said that the investigation into the allegations of discrimination and abuse by a St John’s fifth form student had been somewhat resolved.
Earlier this month, the fifth form student went to Facebook and detailed the abuse he faces at the hands of his peers and certain teachers at the public school due to his sexual orientation. He even posted a video of him being abused by one of his classmates.
Following the allegations, Minister of Education Priya Manickhand said the matter was being investigated. However, on Thursday, the Permanent Secretary said that the Ministry made several interventions.
“By and large, it’s resolved by a number of measures and, of course, interventions by the Ministry,” King stated.
The fifth form student, however, is still attending the same school.
“As it is, that is still pending based on our recommendations. I leave that again at the CO’s level because that is still getting some active attention.”
The male student on his social media page revealed that his school life at St John’s College is ‘like the worst nightmare ever. I’m being abused physically, mentally, and verbally by both teachers and students because of my sexuality. I’m TIRED!”
According to the boy, teachers are throwing derogatory remarks at him, and when he complains, he is never given satisfaction.
The Permanent Secretary said matters like these, when brought to the attention of the Ministry, have the immediate attention of the relevant authorities.
“We try to engage the parents, to try to engage the learners, and we send all of our education officers, our welfare unit was out there to not only do an investigation but to provide immediate support to all those who are impacted by such behaviour.”