A Lovely Lass West Coast Berbice family has lost millions in property after their wooden and concrete home was destroyed by fire on Monday.
The Guyana Fire Service is contending that the fire which started at about 02: 30 hours today was as a result of a kerosene lamp that ignited combustibles that were nearby and spread to other parts of the home.
However, the owner of the property, 70-year-old Ismay Dalrymple told MTV News Update that she was in a chair sleeping in the living room when she heard loud explosions coming from the back bedroom and decided to investigate.
Upon checking, the elderly woman observed huge flames on the walls of the upper flat of the building which she attempted to put out with buckets of water. The fire became worse so she decided to alert the tenants living in the lower flat of the building. They were unable to save anything from the building.
“I left everything and run out the building including my phone so I don't know who all the fire service but they did but this is a mystery because the area where the lamp was at my alter didn't had fire at the time only the back wall”
Dalrymple is currently staying with relatives at Tempe Village on the West Coast of Berbice.
Investigations are ongoing.