The Ministry of Education on Monday began the process to relocate students attached to the St George’s High School following a fire earlier this month which destroyed the historic building.
The fire resulted in over 400 students being displaced and Education Minister Priya Manickchand has said that accommodation would be a major issue, but assured that her team will do all in its reach to accommodate these students for the new school term.
Now, since Monday some 225 students were placed in a secondary school. The placement was based on the choice of their parent or guardian.
The students would be attending classes at their new school in September.
“Very happy to report too that so far the parents of 225 children have turned up and those children have been placed into schools of their choice for September,” Education Minister Priya Manickchand said in a Facebook post.
Minister Manickchand also on Tuesday engaged the parents, HM and teachers of the school.
Parent or guardian of the affected students are asked to visit the Ministry’s Brickdam office to participate in a registration process which will aid the Ministry in the placement of students for the new academic year.