top of page

Man shot by police at Haslington was executed – Mother contends

Dead: 23-year-old Quindon Bacchus

The mother of 23-year-old Quindon Bacchus, who was shot on Friday after he allegedly opened fire on an undercover Policeman, to whom he was going to sell a firearm, was executed.

This is according to his mother, Wonette Sandy, who issued a statement through Attorney-at-Law Darren Wade on Saturday.

Wade said he met with Bacchus’ family, including his mother, grandmother, and aunt, among other relatives, at their lot 44 Cleave Street, Golden Grove, East Coast Demerara (ECD) home.

The dead’s man mother relayed that when she went to view her son’s body, she was informed that two unnamed individuals, identified as the deceased’s brothers, were allowed to view the body.

“She stated that she raised an alarm since she only has one other son who was not at the hospital. Ms. Sandy instructed that she witnessed several wounds, which appeared to be gunshot wounds to his body and one to his head,” the missive stated.

Since the incident, the Guyana Police Force (GPF) made no form of communication with the family, the statement said.

As a result of the preceding, Attorney Wade said that he was instructed to make the following demand: Whether or not there was a wanted bulletin for Quindon Bacchus, whether any shells or warheads were recovered from the crime scene, and the location from which it was retrieved and what intelligence/information was in the police’ possession concerning the victim.

He further asked: What standard operation procedure was used before, during, and after the shooting, the trajectory of the bullet and the point of exit and entry of the bullet, that family members be allowed to witness the post-mortem examination, and most importantly, the family demands an impartial investigation, that the eyewitness that is currently being held be protected and released from custody and that the ranks involved be placed under close arrest.

A few hours after the shooting, the GPF said that an intelligence-led operation was carried out in Haslington New Scheme, ECD, and a 22-year-old construction worker who provided “certain information” led ranks to Bacchus, who was allegedly in possession of a firearm and was intended to sell it to one of the ranks.

The plain-clothes rank, who was armed, made arrangements to purchase the firearm from Bacchus.

The GPF said the 23-year-old man left and then returned with the gun, and while handing over the firearm, an alarm was raised, resulting in him running in a southern direction and discharging a round in the rank’s direction.

In retaliation, the rank drew his service pistol and returned fire, but Bacchus then ran south and jumped into a yard, and the rank gave chase.

According to the GPF, Bacchus discharged several other rounds towards the rank, who took cover and returned fire, hitting him about his body.

He fell to the ground along with the firearm, which was later identified as a .380 pistol and a magazine with one round.

The rank took possession of the firearm and ammunition, and Bacchus was reportedly picked up in a conscious state and escorted to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he was examined but died while receiving treatment.

The body was taken to Memorial Gardens Funeral Home, awaiting a Post Mortem Examination (PME).

The construction worker was arrested and taken to the Cove and John Police Station, where he was interviewed under camera. He also provided a written statement as to what transpired. He was placed in custody pending investigation.

One .380 spent shell and two 9mm spent shells were recovered at the scene. Investigation in progress.

bottom of page