top of page

Fire that destroyed St George’s High School was electrical in nature – FireService

The St George’s High School on fire [Photo: Guyana Fire and Rescue Service]

The fire that destroyed the St George’s High School has been deemed electrical in

nature, as the Guyana Fire Service has completed its investigation in the July 20,

2022 fire.

“Based on our findings the fire was electrical in nature and stemmed from an

inoperable duplex receptacle located in the Social Studies Department on the

North Eastern wall of the building,” the service said on Friday.

According to the Fire Service, although the duplex receptacle was inoperable,

electricity was passing which eventually resulted in the overheating of the

insulation caused by the plastic coating on the wire to melt.

This resulted in arcing and sparking which ignited nearby combustibles and

eventually spread to the entire building.

“The Guyana Fire Service is urging citizens to ensure electrical appliances,

outlets and wiring are of the correct standard as advised by the Guyana

National Bureau of Standards (GNBS).”

“These items should be examined on a regular basis to ensure they are in

proper working order,” GFS stressed.

Citizens are also advised to equip their homes and businesses with fire

extinguishers and smoke detectors for the early detection and extinction of fires.


bottom of page