The fire that destroyed the St George’s High School has been deemed electrical in
nature, as the Guyana Fire Service has completed its investigation in the July 20,
“Based on our findings the fire was electrical in nature and stemmed from an
inoperable duplex receptacle located in the Social Studies Department on the
North Eastern wall of the building,” the service said on Friday.
According to the Fire Service, although the duplex receptacle was inoperable,
electricity was passing which eventually resulted in the overheating of the
insulation caused by the plastic coating on the wire to melt.
This resulted in arcing and sparking which ignited nearby combustibles and
eventually spread to the entire building.
“The Guyana Fire Service is urging citizens to ensure electrical appliances,
outlets and wiring are of the correct standard as advised by the Guyana
National Bureau of Standards (GNBS).”
“These items should be examined on a regular basis to ensure they are in
proper working order,” GFS stressed.
Citizens are also advised to equip their homes and businesses with fire
extinguishers and smoke detectors for the early detection and extinction of fires.