top of page

Appeal Court reserves ruling in appeal by man who killed North R’veldt granny in 2014


L-R: Joyce Lewis and Kevon Alfred

The Court of Appeal (CoA) has reserved its decision in the appeal filed by Kevon Alfred, who was jailed in 2018 for unlawfully killing 75-year-old re-migrant Joyce Lewis.


The case was recently heard by Chancellor of the Judiciary (ag), Justice Yonette Cummings-Edwards, and Justices of Appeal Dawn Gregory-Barnes and Rishi Persaud.


In 2018, Alfred, 31, formerly of Crane, West Coast Demerara (WCD), admitted to unlawfully killing the elderly woman during a robbery at her Lot 3630 Christiani Street, North Ruimveldt home between March 25 and 26, 2014.


He had told the Court back then that it was his friend, Cordell Eastman, called ‘Gaza,’ who killed the woman on March 26, and he was merely the onlooker. He added too that he was just the taxi driver.


As such, the trial Judge, Justice Navindra Singh, sentenced Alfred to 23 years in prison. The Judge had said that he found the confessed killer had no remorse for what he had done.


Based on reports, Lewis’s lifeless body was found in her home by Police and her sister, Veronica Deen, on the morning of March 26, 2014.


She reportedly was also found with her underwear pulled to her ankles and dark marks around her neck.


It is believed that the intruder entered the two-storey house through a broken window at the back. The grill, which normally bars entry into the house, had been clipped.

 

Comentários


bottom of page