top of page

Update: Businessman was shot after he refused to give suspect his bag - Police

Dead: Shimron Adams

The Guyana Police Force (GPF) has confirmed that Shimron Adams, 41, was shot on Monday night after he refused to give the suspect his shoulder bag.

Adams of Lot 129 Macaw Drive, Kaneville, East Bank Demerara (EBD), was fatally shot at about 23:40h at his business place at Lot 'H' D'Urban and Chapel Streets, Lodge, Georgetown.

According to the Police, the two suspects reportedly wore surgical face masks, and one was armed with a handgun.

A 29-year-old woman who shared an intimate relationship with the businessman said that at around 21:30h, she went to Adams' business place, where she consumed alcohol.

She said that at the time, the businessman had a gold ring and one gold band, along with a small bag hanging on his shoulder.

According to her, at about 23:30h, Adams closed his business place and started to pack items in a freezer. However, at about 23:40h, the deceased opened the shutter for them to go out from the bottom flat when the suspects entered the building.

The men ordered them to lie on the ground, to which they complied. The unarmed suspect then took off the businessman's gold band and finger ring and ordered him to get up, which he did.

The suspect then held onto the businessman's shoulder bag and pulled at it, but Adams continued holding it.

The suspect, who was armed with the firearm, discharged a round at Adams, which struck him in his right abdomen.

The businessman then released the bag and fell to the ground helplessly while bleeding from the gunshot wound. The suspect removed the shoulder bag, picked up the businessman's phone and the cell phone from his 29-year-old female companion, and made good their escape through the shutter.

The businessman was picked-up by Police ranks from the Anti-Crime patrol and escorted to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The body is lying at the hospital's mortuary, awaiting a Post Mortem Examination (PME). Ranks from the CID headquarters processed the scene, and one 9mm spent shell, along with a warhead, was recovered at the scene.

The area was canvassed for CCTV cameras which were seen and captured when the suspects went to the business place and left on a black and white XR motorcycle.

The suspects escaped south onto Chapel Street, west onto Princess Street, and south onto St Stephen's Street, Charlestown, where they were last seen.


bottom of page