top of page

Police probing alleged abduction, robbery of Mahaica businessman

Police in Regional Police Division 4 ‘A’ are probing the alleged abduction of 35-year-old Jagdesh Mangal, a businessman of Belmont, Mahaica, East Coast Demerara (ECD), which occurred at about 19:00h on Monday at a popular bar located at Station Street, Kitty.

According to the Guyana Police Force’s (GPF) Corporate Communications Unit (CCU), Mangal was also allegedly relieved of over $3.6 million worth of gold and diamond jewellery by the two suspects.

Reports are that the victim and the suspects are known to each other and have an ongoing dispute over money.

According to Mangal, he was at the bar imbibing when the two suspects and a retired cop showed up in a vehicle.

He told investigators that the two suspects began punching him about his body while telling him they wanted their money.

The retired Policeman was heard telling the suspects to take the victim away, after which the 35-year-old businessman was forced into the vehicle’s back seat.

The victim further claimed that while in the vicinity of Vlissengen Road, one of the suspects pointed a gun at him and relieved him of a gold and diamond band valued at $1.5 million, one black diamond with a gold ring valued at $1.2 million, and one gold chain valued $900,000.

The victim claimed that he was taken to the home of one of the suspects in Kitty and, at gunpoint, was forced to sign a note stating that he owed him $900,000.

The 35-year-old businessman was taken to a hotel on Church Street, where he was ordered out of the vehicle by the two men. The matter was subsequently reported to the Brickdam Police Station.

“Detectives who visited the bar at Station Street questioned several persons, including the proprietor, who related that she was in the kitchen area of the bar when she heard a commotion and upon investigating, she saw the two suspects cuffing the victim and then placed him into a car and drove away,” the CCU said.

The woman further told the ranks that she called on the retired Policeman to intervene, but he refused.

The retired Policeman was arrested and is presently in custody at the Kitty Police Station, assisting with the investigation. The two suspects remain at large.

bottom of page