top of page

Man, 30, shot by police while being arrested; OPR investigating incident

Officials of the Guyana Police Force (GPF)'s Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) are investigating an alleged shooting incident that occurred on Tuesday at about 20:00h at Riverview, Ruimveldt, Georgetown.

Dead is 30-year-old Deanraj Singh, called "Steve Singh," who was the reputed husband of Akisha Madramootoo, a 32-year-old mother of three who resided at Riverview Squatting Area, Ruimveldt, Georgetown.

MTV News Update understands that the two separated a few years ago, but Singh frequently visited Madramootoo's house and allegedly assaulted and threatened her.

The woman stated that she was afraid of his constant threats and assault since he had a gun. As a result, on June 25, 2021, she was granted a Protection Order by the court against him.

But according to the Guyana Police Force (GPF), he consistently violated the order by going to the woman's premises and assaulting her, with the most recent being on May 15, 2022.

He was also charged with break and enter and larceny, along with other offences, as well as assault. Two arrest warrants were issued for both offences. He also has several criminal charges pending against him.

On Tuesday last, at about 20:00h, Akisha was at home when Singh went to her house and severely beat her up. She called the Ruimveldt Police Station and reported the incident. Police ranks, including a member of the Neighbourhood Police, responded to the report.

One of the Police ranks carried a .38 revolver and six live rounds. The ranks went to a house at Riverview Ruimveldt, where Singh and some other friends were seen imbibing.

He ran into a house when he saw the ranks, jumped through a window, and dashed towards the Demerara River. The police ranks, as well as the victim all, followed him.

One of the police ranks claims that while walking on the landing heading towards the river, he heard a sound coming from the bushes on the riverbank, so he quickly shined his torchlight in the direction and saw Singh with an object in his right hand, which was followed by a loud explosion.

He immediately discharged two rounds in Singh's direction, and he saw him run and jump into the Demerara River. The ranks searched the area for the man, but this proved futile. A fisherman from the area found his body the following day at about 6:45h, lying face down.

The body was examined by crime scene technicians, who discovered one suspected gunshot wound on the right side of his abdomen. The body is pending a Post Mortem Examination (PME) at the mortuary. The area was searched, but no trace of the suspected firearm was discovered.

The hands of both the deceased and the police rank, as well as clothing, were collected for the examination of gun powder residue.

The firearm, ammunition, and spent shells were marked, sealed, and delivered to the Ballistic Department for analysis. Statements have also been collected as the OPR investigation continues.

bottom of page