top of page

14 years jail for man who brutally chopped pregnant woman

Updated: May 27, 2022

Richard Mohammed

Thirty-one-year-old Richard Mohammed, who had confessed to brutally chopping a six-month pregnant woman, severing several of her fingers during the process, was today sentenced to 14 years behind bars.

Justice Jo-Ann Barlow handed down the sentence at the High Court in Essequibo.

Mohammed of Pomeroon was initially indicted for the offence of attempted murder but opted to plead guilty to the lesser offence of felonious wounding.

He admitted that on March 25, 2021, in the county of Essequibo, he unlawfully and maliciously wounded a 23-year-old woman.

During today's sentencing hearing, the woman said that her life would never be the same while noting that the incident has left her physically and mentally traumatised.

“Me and my children don’t have anywhere to live, and we have to keep asking people to keep us. This is hard on me…my children have to see their mom permanently disfigured.”

In his address to the court, Mohammed pleaded for forgiveness. He told the court: “I m deeply sorry for everything that happened. Whatever is asked of me, I will do. I couldn’t control myself in all this. I am deeply sorry for everything, and please forgive me for everything that happened.”

In arriving at an appropriate sentence for the convict, Justice Barlow considered that he used a sharp object to inflict injuries on the woman, resulting in her suffering severe disfigurement.

The Judge told Mohammed that his actions represent his “wanton disregard” for life and limb, lack of concern for the woman’s fetus, and a lack of respect for those who resided in the house he burnt to the ground.

As such, Justice Barlow sentenced Mohammed to 14 years in prison and ordered that prison authorities deduct the time he spent in pretrial custody.

The Judge also ordered that he undergo counselling sessions tailored for persons convicted of violent offences during his incarceration.

Mohammed was represented by Attorney-at-Law George Thomas, while Senior State Counsel Tiffini Lyken appeared on behalf of the prosecution.

Reports are that the two got into an argument on the day in question, and Mohammed attacked the woman with a cutlass, chopping her to her head and about her body.

He then burnt the house down. The matter was reported, and following an investigation, Mohammed was arrested and charged.


bottom of page