top of page

Toddler critical after drinking gramoxone stored in drink bottle

Police are investigating an incident involving 4-year-old Tinesha Shamshundar of Lot 1 No. 50 Village Corentyne, Berbice, which occurred on Sunday that resulted in the child being rushed to the hospital in a critical condition.

The toddler's 23-year-old mother told investigators that on Thursday last she had collected a one-litre Pepsi bottle containing suspected gramoxone from her mother-in-law at No. 70 Village Corentyne, Berbice to spray her yard.

She said the drug was secured in a goat pen in her yard at the back of her home.

However, while playing in the yard yesterday, the toddler reportedly found the bottle containing the poisonous substance and drank some of it.

The toddler was rushed to the Port Mourant Public Hospital, where she was examined and later transferred to the New Amsterdam Public Hospital for further treatment. Her condition is listed as critical.

Investigations are continuing.


bottom of page